It’s What’s in the Box Wednesday again, so that means we’re visiting CSA land to see what kind of vegetable were in my box this week! I was pretty happy with last week’s contents, but this week’s was kind of boring. There’s really nothing that stands out to me. There were a few items that we put in the swap box since we don’t like them…yes, you guessed it! Beets. And Eggplant.
But as usual the White Onions, Red Garlic, Sungold Cherry Tomatoes and Baby Sweet Peppers will be put to good use. I don’t have any grand plans for them, but I can use them here and there. I believe I have some fresh Mozzarella Cheese left, so I can definitely do another Tomato, Basil & Mozzarella Salad!
I’ve never had an Apple Cucumber before, but I’m interested to try it out. That will probably just be cut up and eaten as a snack since we don’t have any plans for salad this week.
I’ll be using the Sweet Corn as a side dish for tonight”s dinner of Turkey Hot Dogs! We’re attending the U.S. Men’s Soccer Game vs Mexico here in Philadelphia so I want to make sure dinner is something easy. The game doesn’t start until 9pm so maybe I can grab a quick nap beforehand. (Wow, I sound old, don’t I?! )
- 1 Bunch Red Beets – Certified Organic – Autumn Blend Organics *Put in Swap Box
- 1 Bag Cured White Onions – Certified Organic – Crystal Spring Farm
- 1 Pint Sungold Cherry Tomatoes - Certified Organic – Scarecrow Hill Organics
- 1 Italian Eggplant – Certified Organic – Farmdale Organics *Put in Swap Box
- 4 Ears Sweet Corn – Certified Organic – White Swan Acres
- 1 Bag Red Garlic – Certified Organic – Liberty Branch Farm
- 1 Bag Baby Sweet Peppers – Certified Organic – Farmdale Organics
- 1 Crystal Apple Cucumber – Certified Organic – Maple Lawn Organics
- 1 Sangria Watermelon – Certified Organic – Healthy Harvest Organics
- 1 Yellow Seedless Watermelon – Certified Organic – Bellview Organics
Let’s talk about these Watermelons! So it looks like we’ll be on Watermelon overload this week! Let me just say that I’m so glad that I wasn’t the one that had to carry these bad boys home from the CSA pick-up spot! Mr. Curly Fry does the CSA box pick-up, and I was very happy about that this week! I don’t think there’s any way I could’ve carried those two huge watermelons + the other vegetables that we got!
Now…I cut into that huge Watermelon on the right last night, and it was not seedless. I wanted to cry. Last week’s watermelon was supposed to be seedless but it wasn’t. So last night I spent a lot of time cutting it up and taking the seeds out. *sigh* What a waste of time that is! I’m really interested to check out this Yellow Seedless Watermelon, since I’ve never had one before. But that is going to have to wait until later in the week once we make a dent in the Watermelon we have cut up already.
The Sangria Watermelon was delicious though! It was so sweet & juicy, exactly how I like my Watermelon. This one was definitely better than last week’s. The one we got last week didn’t have that much flavor. But stay tune for a few Cocktail recipes that include Watermelon – that’s something you won’t want to miss!
I have really been enjoying the Peaches from the past few weeks. My mouth has been watering for more, so you know that means that we didn’t get any this week. If we did get some, I would probably be sick of them. Isn’t that how it always works?!
How did you use your CSA box this week?