At Chez la One Curly Fry we’ve designated Sundays in the fall and winter to be “Souper Bowl Sunday.” Each Monday I’ll share with you the soup or stew that we had the day before. Yesterday it was a Broccoli and Cheese soup that I adapted from the January 2002 issue of Cooking Light.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth (I use Penzeys chicken soup base)
- 4 cups of fresh broccoli florets
- 2 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 3 Tablespoons of corn starch mixed with some cold water
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- pinch of salt
- 8 ounces of extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Drizzle some olive oil in a dutch oven and heat it over medium heat. Add onion, shallots and garlic; saute 4 -5 minutes or until tender. Add broth and 3 cups of broccoli. Bring broccoli mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; cook 10 minutes. While it’s cooking, place the 1 cup of reserved broccoli florets in a steam bag and microwave for 3 minutes. Set aside.
Place all of the soup in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth. Return pureed soup mixture to pan.
Add milk mixture and corn starch (mixed with water) to broccoli mixture. Cook 5 – 10 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring constantly. Stir in pepper and pinch of salt. Reduce heat to low. Add cheese, stirring until cheese melts. Add the reserved broccoli florets and heat through.
Serve with crusty bread and butter.