Welcome to the latest edition of What’s in the Box Wednesday! Last week was just kind of “eh” in the vegetable world. Nothing too exciting. We really enjoyed the Sweet Corn on the Cob – it was sweet and delicious! I ended up cutting the Baby Sweet Peppers into strips and throwing them in the freezer. They’ll come in handy one day when we have stir fry or something like that.
This week’s box isn’t impressive at all, in my opinion. Nothing really wowed me. I don’t like Red Chard, so that went into the Swap Box. I didn’t want the Yellow Seedless Watermelon because honestly I didn’t care for it that much. So that went into the Swap Box. I did use some Yellow Watermelon in a Cocktail; stay tuned to 5 Ingredient Friday this week to see what it was! But anyway…If I was on a deserted island and the only thing to eat was Yellow Watermelon I would eat it, but otherwise I’ll have to pass. The Sangria Watermelon from last week was one of the best Watermelons I’ve ever eaten. It was so good. So I was sad that we weren’t getting another one of those.
I’m going to have to find some new recipes to use the tomatoes in. I still have the Sungold Tomatoes from last week. I haven’t gotten around to eating those yet. We have more Cherry Tomatoes this week, along with Roma Tomatoes. I just may have to have Tomato, Basil & Mozzarella again since we’re also getting Sweet Thai Basil!
I have some Zucchini that I sliced up and put in the freezer, so I’ll probably pull that out and saute some Squash, Zucchini, Onions, and Mushrooms with a little bit of garlic and use that as a side dish. As you can see though, not all of the vegetables are perfect that we get. I had to throw that one yellow onion out because it was all gross. It happens. No biggie.
- 1 Bag Yellow Onions – Certified Organic – Friends Road Organics
- 1 Bunch Red Chard – Certified Organic – Maple Lawn Organics *Put in Swap Box
- 2 Red Bell Peppers – Certified Organic – Meadow Valley Organics
- 1 Bag Roma Tomatoes – Certified Organic – Millwood Springs Organics
- 1 Yellow Straightneck Squash – Certified Organic – Echo Valley Organics
- 2 Heads of Baby Romaine Lettuce – Riverview Organics
- 1 Pint Cherry Tomatoes – Certified Organic – White Swan Acres
- 1 Bunch Sweet Thai Basil – Certified Organic – Noble Herbs
- 1 Yellow Seedless Watermelon – Certified Organic – White Swan Acres *Put in Swap Box
- 1 Bag Nectarines – IPM – Kissel Hill Fruit Farm
The original email I got about the Fruit Share said we’d be getting Peaches, so I was super excited about that! But the day of the pick-up the email said we were getting Nectarines. *sigh* I like Nectarines, but Peaches are sooooo much better. The Peaches have been so sweet and delicious lately. They are a wonderful snack. But I guess I’ll have to get on board with the Nectarines.
How did you use your CSA box this week?